Friday’s wet adventure in Norwood

Friday 8/25- posted at 11:40 pm

Written by Erik Steffenson

5:00 pm: Buffalo Bulldogs (6) v. Fairmont Martins (2)

Early RBIs from Colton Haight fuel the Bulldogs early

The rain avoided the first game Friday and Buffalo took advantage as they advance to next round with tonight’s 6-2 victory over Fairmont. Carter Vogt carried the pitching load as he was two outs away from a complete game.

Buffalo managed to get going early as Jason Senger led off the game with a single and Jake Duske followed up by getting hit by a pitch to get both runners on right away. Colton Haight then delivered a long drive deep into left center to drive in both Senger and Duske for the early 2-0 lead. A bad pickoff by the opposing pitcher scored Haight to make it 3-0 after the top of the first.

In the second inning Corey Braun led off by getting on by an error on the third baseman. Braun would then be driven in on a two out double by Duske to make it 4-0.

Buffalo got their two other runs on a RBI groundout from Colton Haight in the seventh and an RBI single from Wyatt Brings in the eighth.

Carter Vogt was dominant tonight for the Bulldogs as he went 8 ⅓ innings allowing only two runs (one earned) on six hits while striking out nine. Maple Plain draftee Andy Johnson got the last two outs to solidify the win.

“Obviously I would have loved to finished the game especially when I was so close. But luckily we had Andy Johnson to close it out. It’s nice to have our group of guys that mesh pretty well. We like to joke around, but more importantly we know why we’re here and that’s what makes doing this a lot more fun.” -Carter Vogt on tonight’s game and his team backing him up.

On the other side, Fairmont used Pipestone draftee Brandon Alfson who tossed the first five innings allowing six hits and four runs (three earned) while striking out eight. Collin Lovell, a draftee from Windom, entered the game in relief in the sixth inning and kept the bats in check as he threw the last four innings giving up only three hits, two runs (one earned), one walk, and one strike out.

Fairmont got their first run in the sixth inning as Levi Becker drew a walk with the bases loaded. The Martins struck again in the ninth as Spencer Chirpich scored on a throwing error.

7:30 p.m.: Elrosa Saints (3) v. Hampton Cardinals (5)- suspended in top 8th

Elrosa’s rally put on pause 

Mother nature decided to rain on the 2nd game here in Norwood. However, a good portion of this game was managed to play before they ultimately called the game.

The first pitch of the game drilled Matt Middendorf of Elrosa in the hip. He then managed to make his way over to third base after a walk and a single. Ethan Vogt then drove him in with an RBI single to put Elrosa up 1-0 early. The next batter then grounded into a double play to end the opportunity for more runs.

Middendorf led off the third inning with a single and advanced to second on a wild pitch. He would then make his way over to third after a ground ball bumped him over. Matt then scored on a passed ball during James Kuefler at bat with two outs to make it 2-0.  Austen Hadley led off the fourth inning with a single and was scored on a successful suicide squeeze by his brother A.J. to make it 3-0.

Hampton’s bats started coming alive in the bottom of the fourth when the first three batters got on base (single, walk, hit by pitch). David Barry then drove in the first run on a sacrifice fly to left field. Two batters later Rhett Hebig drove in another run with a single up the middle to make it a one run ballgame.

The first delay took place after the fourth inning. Elrosa’s starter was Jimmy Thull, who was a draftee out of New Munich, pitched solidly the first four innings allowing only four hits and two runs. Adam Moorse pitched the first four innings for Hampton as he allowed only four hits and three runs while striking out four.

Once play resumed both team’s bats stayed quiet for the fifth and sixth inning. Hampton then rallied in the bottom of the seventh when A.J. Sayer started the bottom half with a single. The next two batters got out and that’s when the Cardinals delivered clutch two out hits starting with an RBI single from Pat Strey, followed by an RBI double from David Barry, and then capped off by an RBI single from Johnny Dittman to make it 5-3.

Elrosa managed to get their first three batters aboard in the 8th and the game was suspended with the bases loaded and no outs.

The game will be resumed at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday 8/26 in Norwood.

Check out additional content below